Looking for an activity break in Scotland? New Lanark World Heritage Site is the perfect base for your adventure!
New Lanark is located in Lanarkshire’s beautiful Clyde Valley, around 1 hour from Glasgow and Edinburgh – making it the perfect central location for an activity break and exploring Scotland. There are a number of accommodation options at New Lanark to suit a variety of needs and budgets…
The stunning New Lanark Mill Hotel has 38 spacious and stylish bedrooms with free wifi access. All of the bedrooms enjoy spectacular views across the River Clyde or the historic village of New Lanark.
There are also 8 self-catering Waterhouses which rest on the banks of the River Clyde. These 4 star cottages all feature open plan living room, dining and kitchen areas as well as a fully fitted kitchen, freeview TV and family bathroom.
For those looking for a unique hostel experience, the Wee Row Hostel has it all! The hostel has 18 rooms, all with river views and ensuite facilities. There is a choice of twin, double, triple and quad rooms with linen provided on all beds for arrival. Wee Row Hostel also features full catering & self-catering kitchens, Dining Room, TV Lounge, Meeting Room, Wifi Access, Laundry Room and Bike Store.
After enjoying a day of activities, New Lanark is the perfect place to come home to for a relaxing evening. There is an onsite Health & Fitness Club with a 16m pool, sauna, steam room and spa for an extra special treat! We also have the Mill One Restaurant which serves delicious dishes made using local produce, and the Mill One Bar & Lounge for a refreshing drink at the end of the day.
Activities on your doorstep…
- Falls of Clyde Wildlife Reserve – enjoy a scenic woodland walk to the spectacular Falls of Clyde.
- Royal Burgh of Lanark – there are a number of walks for all abilities around this historic market town.
- Lanark Loch and Lanark Racecourse – many activities to keep families entertained including walks, play parks & putting green.
- Lanark Golf Club – a wonderful golfing experience awaits you at the 25th oldest gold club in the world!
- Castlebank Park – situated near the site of Lanark Castle, this is Lanark’s ‘jewel in the crown’!
- Scottish Equestrian Centre – horse riding, pony rides, team building, castle tours & more!
- New Lanark Visitor Centre – this award winning Visitor Centre tells the fascinating history of the story of New Lanark.
Activities a short drive away…
- Kypeside Fishery – in the 30 acre Kype Resevoir, boasts three Lochs, one fly & Bait fishing and two Fly only.
- Tinto Hill – one of central Scotland’s best walks with a superbview point (5 miles, 2-3 hours)
- Culter Fell – the most popular, highest and most shapely of this rolling range of hills on the Lanarkshire / Borders boundary, south of Biggar.
- Biggar Adventures Ltd – abseiling, canoeing, mountain biking and more!
- Chatelherault Country Park – 10 miles of stunning gorge walks along the River Avon + a visitor centre, café & more.
- Strathclyde Park – One of Scotland’s best locations for watersports, walking, cycling and other outdoor activities!
- M&Ds – Scotland’s Theme Park with rides, indoor bowling, soft play area & AMAZONIA – Scotland’s only indoor tropical rainforest.
A full day out of activities…
- Cloudbusters East Kilbride – Paragliding for all levels of profiency from beginner up!
- Air Space Trampoline Park – 37,000 sq foot of boucning fun!
- Lowther Hills Ski Club – family friendly club that operates ski tows at Scotland’s two highest villages, Wanlockhead and Leadhills.
- Glasgow Climbing Centre – the centre boasts lead, top rope and bouldering styles.
- Glentress Forest Mountain Biking – Situated in the Tweed Valley in the Scottish Borders, Glentress and Innerleithen have a massive reputation for providing some of the best mountain biking in the UK.
- Bedlam Paintball Cumbernauld – full selection of Bedlam’s creative, custom-built Game Zones!
- Cumbernauld Outdoor Activity Centre – Off Road Landrover Driving, Blindfold Driving, Archery, Axe Throwing, Target Paintball, Team Games, Birds of Prey Display and War Games Paintball.
- Carron Valley – Get a taste of the Highlands in this rolling forest with a range of cycling activities for all abilities.
As you can see, there’s more than enough to keep you entertained on an activity break to Scotland – and you can make it even more memorable by waking up in one of Scotland’s 6 World Heritage Sites!
Melissa – New Lanark Marketing and PR Officer