(pictured, Andy Park and Ronnie North of the New Lanark Ice Cream Team)
As of this week New Lanark Ice Cream has a new home! We have moved our Ice Cream factory from the Caldwellside Industrial Estate in Lanark, down into the village of New Lanark. The production of our delicious ice cream will now be taking place in the Mechanics’ Workshop building.
The 3 storey Mechanics’ Workshop is part of a complex of buildings at the far end of the village that were constructed by Robert Owen to help improve efficiency of production in the Mills. The building originally housed a team of skilled tradesmen who built and repaired the machinery and waterwheels, including engineers, wheelwrights, iron and brass founders, wood-turners and blacksmiths- the ‘mechanics’ on whom the mills depended. The complex was powered by a waterwheel until 1929 when a turbine was installed and it is one of the oldest surviving engineering and foundry complexes in Scotland.
New Lanark Ice Cream is currently distributed to hotels & restaurants in Glasgow and throughout the central belt. It is also enjoyed by thousands of visitors annually who visit New Lanark, with the ice cream being sold in the Visitor Centre, Mill Café, Village Store, Wee Row Hostel and served in the New Lanark Mill Hotel.
New Lanark Ice Cream picked up two prestigious awards at the 175th Royal Highland Show which took place from 18-21 June 2015 in Ingliston, Edinburgh. Fighting off competition from some of the top ice cream producers across Scotland, New Lanark Ice Cream’s Simply Vanilla flavour was awarded the top accolade of ‘Overall Champion Ice Cream’. The same ice cream was also awarded ‘Gold’ in the Vanilla Flavour Class and Jammy Dodger also won Bronze in the Flavour Class.
The Ice Cream factory isn’t open to the public (at the moment!) but here are some sneak peek insider photos for our readers…
Melissa – New Lanark Marketing and PR Officer